Departmental Profile :
Department of Physiotherapy in Science College, Kokrajhar was established in the year 2016,
with a vision to cater to the ever-demanding need of adequately qualified and trained physiotherapists
in the country and creating health awareness by introducing Physiotherapy in BTAD region.
It is the only provincialized Government college in Assam and also a pioneer organization to
offer BPT course in the region. This gives an opportunity to the students to avail quality
professional education which is at par with national and international standards in their own
region. Since, its inception the department has done a tremendous job in reaching the
unreached by offering community services.
Departmental Highlights :
- 1. Well qualified and experienced faculties.
- 2. Research oriented academic curriculum.
- 3. Audio Visual Classroom and Departmental library besides the Central library.
- 4. Offers students scholarships.
- 5. Well-equipped Digital Outpatient Department (OPD).
- 6. Organization of regular Rural and Urban Community Outreach programmes.
- 7. Partnership with local healthcare organizations.
- 8. Regular educational tours to various healthcare organizations in & out of the state & other neighboring countries.
- 9. Regularly conducts CME, Seminar & Hands on Workshops for first hand skill and knowledge.
- 10. Encourages active participation of the students in various co-curricular activities and community services.
- 11. Offers stipend during internship period.
- 12. Successful job placements and 100 % Job Assistance.
- 1. Demonstration room for practical purpose
- 2. Learning materials available are:
- i. Original and artificial bone sets
- ii. Microscopes and slides
- iii. Human skeleton
- iv. Muscle dummies
- v. Human systems
- vi. Sphygmomanometer
- vii. Spirometer
- viii. Ambu bag
- ix Capillary tubes etc.
- 3. Highly equipped Outpatient Department (OPD)- Digital Physiotherapy Centre with the following modalities to train the students
- o Ultrasound
- o IFT
- o EMS
- o Traction
- o Parallel bar
- o Shoulder wheel
- o LASER
- o IRR
- o CPM
- o Quadriceps table
- o SWD
- o Hydro collator Packs
- o Hand Dynamometer
- o Suspension therapy unit
- o Treadmill
- o Wax bath
- o Swiss Ball
- o Weight cuffs
- o Walking aids (Crutches, Cane, Walker, etc)
- o Wheelchair
- o Whirpool bath etc.
Physiotherapy is a branch of modern medical science which includes examination, assessment, interpretation, physical diagnosis, planning and execution of treatment and advice to any purpose for the purpose of preventing, correcting, alleviating and limiting dysfunction, acute and chronic bodily malfunction including live saving measures via chest physiotherapy in the intensive care unit, curing physical disorders or disability, promoting physical disorders or disability, promoting physical fitness, facilitating healing and pain relief and treatment of physical and psychological disorders through modulating psychological and physical response using physical agents, activities and devices including exercise, mobilization, manipulations, therapeutic ultrasound, electrical and thermal agents and electrotherapy for diagnosis treatment and prevention (IAP).
Duration of Course : 4 years (8 semesters) and 6 months Rotatory internship
Affiliation: Affilated to Bodoland University.
10+2 from CBSE/ICSE/State board with at least 50% marks in PCB (Physics, Chemistry, and Biology). Candidates from reserved category shall be given relaxation of 5%.
Limited to 30
A qualified physiotherapist with BPT qualification can pursue post-graduation in the following field:
• Community based rehabilitation
• Women’s Health
• Hospital Administration
• Public Health Management
• Business Management
• MSC in Anatomy
• MSC in Physiology
A physiotherapist has varied and flexible employment options. They can be employed in Government as well as private sectors. Areas where physiotherapists can be employed are:
• Consultant Physiotherapist in Multi-specialty Hospitals
• National/International sports team
• Physiotherapy Institutes
• Retirement and old age homes
• Health and fitness centers
• Hospital/Nursing homes
• Rehabilitation centers
• Public settings (e.g shopping malls) for health promotion
• Schools, including pre-schools and special schools
• Physiotherapist can also run their own private practice.
• Clinical Researcher.